Thursday, May 22, 2008

The Beginning

If anyone would have ever told me that I'd be here, unable to conceive, I would have NEVER believed it. I always dream of having children...10. I always believed the moment I stopped using the pill, poof, I'd be pregnant. When I went off the pill I figured that I would be pregnant the moment I stopped using condoms. How wrong I was.
I think back to 1999 when I was about to graduate from college. I announced to my family that I would be having a baby with my longtime boyfriend. My sister was so alarmed, she counseled me immediately. My grandmother who always loved and still loves children was ecstatic. I was convinced not to have children just yet. So I kept popping my pills. I thought how lucky I was that the pill worked for me; I'd not gotten pregnant despite my carelessness. Now I think I know why.
When I met and married my husband, he wanted me to immediately go off of the pill. But I took it for another year thinking, we need to just make it through our first year and start trying after our anniversary. I went off the pill and figured 3 months, the drugs will be out of my system and then we'll get pregnant. Three months turned into 12 and my husband told me to talk to my GYN about trying to get pregnant. I just figured our timing must not be right or something and did not worry too much. I spoke to my doctor about TTC for 12 months with no success. It was at my annual check-up. It was at this check-up that my doctor noticed my abdomen was large and firm. He thought it may be a fibroid. I had to do a transvaginal u/s and sure enough there it was. One, 11cm fibroid sitting at the top of my uterus.

No comments: